Thursday, January 27, 2011

Bridge on the River Kwai

1957.
#13 / #36
Winner of 7 Academy Awards

Colonel Nicholson (Alec Guinness) urges his men, British prisoners of war, to help the Japanese build a bridge across the Kwai. Commander "Shears" (William Holden) escapes from the prison camp, but then leads a British squad back to the camp to blow up the completed bridge.

Eddie: I loved this movie. I'm not sure if it belongs on the AFI list, since the director and most of the cast are British, but I really enjoyed all two hours and forty minutes of it. This David Lean epic surpasses the one that follows, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA. I enjoyed BRIDGE's subtle theme of anti-imperialism (specifically, anti-British-imperialism). Obi-Wan portrays Colonel Nicholson with such tragic pathos that I found myself rooting for him, even though his outdated point of view is worthy of dismissiveness. The deliberate pace of the story provides balance throughout the movie. The jungle lends a lush backdrop for BRIDGE.

And on a technical note, Jack Hildyard earns his Oscar with those day-for-night shots alone. I don't know why David Lean didn't bring him back for LAWRENCE OF ARABIA (which has terrible day-for-night shots).

Sarah: I'm not really sure what I was supposed to take away from this nearly three hour film. It was so start-and-stop. It was basically the same conversation for three hours. Here is it how it went.

Soldier #1: Let's build a bridge!
Soldier #2: Let's take it down!
Soldier #1: Let's build a new bridge!
Soldier #2: Wait. For real? I thought we were taking it down.
Soldier #1: No, we're really building it now.
Soldier #2: Ok.
Soldier #1: Ohhh! Let's build a tiny bridge, too.

What I was really unclear about was what motivated the characters' actions. I'm not entirely sure why Colonel Nicholson was so excited about building the bridge, and I'm equally dissatisfied with Shears' reasons for returning to the camp. The most sympathetic character, Lieutenant Joyce (Geoffrey Horne) does not even show up until the film is ending. I was completely underwhelmed with the story. This bridge takes you straight to sleeptown.

But I will agree with Eddie that the cinematography is beyond impressive. The patience and work it must have taken to film those long tracking shots through the jungle. Real jungle with bugs and bats and humidity. I can't even imagine braving those shooting obstacles, and that is certainly worth admiring.

Why You Should See It: There are a few shots in the movie that are stupendous because of the effort required to shoot them. We're talking about any shot with bats in it and, of course, the climactic train shot.

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite films and I've been to the actual bridge twice, and I have to say, despite the fact that it's become a tourist destination--with all that that entails--there's still something extraordinarily somber and quiet about the place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete