Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A Clockwork Orange

1971.
#46 / Unlisted
Nominated for 4 Academy Awards.

Alex (Malcolm McDowell) and his "droogs" wreak violent havoc all over England, until Alex is caught and reformed. But then Alex runs into some of his victims, who torment him in retaliation for the pain he caused them.

Sarah: I am not a fan of this film, which means that Kubrick did a great job. I have never been more scared or disturbed by a film in my life. The violence truly terrifies me, especially the graphic rape scenes, which are strangely glorified. It makes my stomach churn and affects me on a level no movie has.

When I watch A CLOCKWORK ORANGE, I feel fear. Not fear like when you watch a suspenseful thriller or even horror - this movie makes me feel like a victim. I've had to watch it a few times during the short period I was a film major, and I will never watch it again. Maybe I'm sensitive, but I think the violence in this film is something that exists in the world, and Kubrick is warning us to keep an eye on it.

Eddie: Kubrick hits his stride with CLOCKWORK. The film, along with Sarah's review of it, shows the power of film. I love the movie for all of the reasons that Sarah hates it. Its graphic violence and hypnotic use of Beethoven's Ninth reveal how engrossing movies can be. I agree that the characters' actions are deplorable. I think that's the point of the movie. Alex was evil. He did evil things to good people, but once they had the chance, they did the same to him.

Why You Should See It: The movie's uses of "Singin' in the Rain" and Beethoven's Ninth Symphony. You'll never hear them the same way again.

No comments:

Post a Comment