Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Star Wars: A New Hope

1977.
#15 / #13
Winner of 7 Academy Awards.

Come on. It's STAR WARS. Even three-year-olds know what STAR WARS is about.

Eddie: STAR WARS is one my favorite movies of all time, and A NEW HOPE is my favorite of all six STAR WARS flicks. I realize how cliche it is that I, a USC film grad, love STAR WARS, but I'm not embellishing when I say that watching it for the first time when I was ten is what made me want to make movies. Meeting George Lucas at twenty was one of the coolest things that's ever happened to me.

But I digress. Why is STAR WARS amazing? Two words: Joseph Campbell. Even Sarah, who generally dislikes sci-fi, enjoys STAR WARS because of its adherence to the hero's journey. Sure, STAR WARS has its flaws. If the writing weren't so iconic, everyone would realize how laughably bad it is. And the special effects on the original (and only true) release are miserably outdated. But Luke (Mark Hamill) saves Leia (Carrie Fisher) and Han Solo (Harrison Ford) is a badass. What more could you ask for?

Sarah: Wow. My boyfriend is more of a nerd than I thought. But as Eddie started to say, I like Star Wars because it does follow the hero's journey. (And to set the record straight, I don't have a problem with sci-fi. I have a problem with sci-fi fans.) Luke may be the hero, but he is boring compared to the rest of the gang. But I'll agree with the Star Wars girl and say, "It's an exciting movie."

Why You Should See It: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Alec Guinness) tells Luke to use the force. Han Solo comes back to fight the empire. And Luke saves the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment