Monday, March 8, 2010

Chinatown

1974.
#19 / #21
Winner of 1 Academy Award.

Jake Gittes (Jack Nicholson) investigates the mysterious drowning of Hollis Mulwray (Darrell Zwerling), the chief engineer of the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power. Along the way, he's caught up in a conspiracy that involves water, real estate, politics, and incest. It's intense.

Sarah: This movie feels like one long episode of LAW & ORDER. Some people love LAW & ORDER. I, however, watched one too many LAW & ORDER marathons, so I was not too into the movie. The movie doesn't focus on relationships, and I got bored watching Jack Nicholson run all over town. If I have to watch someone investigate a water mystery, give me ERIN BROCKOVICH. However, if you like crime mysteries, knock yourself out.

Eddie: I, on the other hand, love LAW & ORDER. I record it every week. L&O is great, but CHINATOWN is in a league of its own. Jack Nicholson plays the amazingly cool Jake Gittes. His fast-talking hard-boiled detective-talk puts me in a hypnotic spell. The story, written by Robert Towne, is smart. It leads the viewer along without hitting you over the head or waiting for you to catch up. Roman Polanski's direction is superb, and the art direction and costumes of this movie are a perfect re-creation of a Los Angeles that has long since faded into acid-washed jeans and urban sprawl.

This is neo-noir at its finest. For maximum enjoyment, watch CHINATOWN on a double-bill with L.A. CONFIDENTIAL.

Why You Should See It: "Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

No comments:

Post a Comment