Saturday, March 27, 2010

2001: A Space Odyssey

1968.
#22 / #15
Winner of 1 Academy Award.

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY starts out with prehistoric man discovering a monolith, then we fast forward to the discovery of a similar monolith on some moon. And then there's the famous bit between Dave (Keir Dullea), an astronaut, and HAL-9000. And then Dave turns into a starchild.

Eddie: I really hate this movie, and I strongly dislike the pretentious people who claim to love it. What the hell is this movie about? It makes no sense. It's a three-hour mindfuck, and I will not go on some trans-galactic voyage unless there's some logic or payoff at the end. The classical music is disjointed from the film, and the editing makes you feel like you're watching interplanetary paint dry. Bleh.

Sarah: Let me remove my top-hat and place my wine on a coaster while I exclaim, "I love this movie." Though I owe my understanding to a religious studies teacher who offered watching this movie as extra-credit. Watching it and trying to figure out why the hell would a religious studies professor assign this, gave the film meaning.

It's a spiritual journey. Man gains knowledge and falls from innocence, man kills God and creates his own God, Man dies and is reborn. What is not to get? They didn't teach you that in film school Eddie? Now excuse me while I polish my monocle and take my exit to the pretentious people's gala. We're having roast goose and discussing Waiting For Godot.

Why You Should See It: The "open the pod bay doors" scene is chilling. The silence of space has never created as much tension as this scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment