Thursday, June 17, 2010

Duck Soup

1959.
#85 / #60

Rufus T. Firefly (Groucho Marx) becomes leader of Freedonia. After insulting the ambassador of Sylvania, he puts the two countries on a collision course for war.

Eddie: I hated this movie. Hate, hate, hated it. Not only did I find it unfunny, but I have also started to seriously question my judgment of Sarah, who adores the Marx Brothers. Plot is non-existent. Any semblance of emotion is completely absent. All we're left with are mile-a-minute zingers and zany antics. Oh, and Margaret Dumont.

Sarah: Well I hate, hate, hate watching the Marx Brothers with Eddie. He doesn't get it. He is like the one person not having fun at a circus. Look, the Marx Brothers are not trying to make you question life. They're trying to make you laugh. It's refreshing to see a movie solely supported by zingers, slapstick, and the unsinkable Margaret Dumont. Can't some films on the list just be fun?

I think this is one of their best films. It has twice the jokes and gags, but no opera scenes. And though there is no plot, I feel in this one case, that's ok. It's just the Marx Brothers carrying on.

Eddie: I hate the circus, too.

Why You Should See It: The mirror scene. It is the Marx brothers at their silliest and most delightful.

No comments:

Post a Comment