Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Gold Rush

1925.
#74 / #58
Nominated for 2 Academy Awards.

The Tramp (Charlie Chaplin) heads to Alaska with hopes of striking it rich in the gold rush.

Sarah: This is my favorite Chaplin film. It has the best gags - the shack tilting in the wind, the starving Tramp seeing his roommate as a giant chicken, and, of course, the Tramp eating his shoe. Oh my god. Cracks me up every time.

In this film, Chaplin really demonstrates his mastery of the comedic. To merely list the jokes does not do them justice. Conceptually, they are not the most brilliant, but his performance makes them genius. He also is the most charming in this film. I also think this has the best romantic love story of his films. Watching Chaplin being stood up on New Year's Eve is heartbreaking. (I feel you, buddy. I think New Year's Eve is depressing, too). It's not just a great silent film, it's a great romantic comedy - simple and sweet - which is why THE GOLD RUSH keeps climbing that AFI list.

Eddie: I disagree with Sarah, though not about much. Sarah's right about the movie's humor, which is unparalleled (and light years better than the Marx Brothers, who were still in vaudeville theaters at the time). THE GOLD RUSH completes Chaplin's transition from silly silent comedies to timeless comedic opuses. The movie has a lot of heart, but it isn't as tender as CITY LIGHTS (not to mention MODERN TIMES). What this movie does have is hilarious gags, along with a romantic sub-plot and excellent score that make Chaplin worth his place in American cinema. If it isn't already clear, Chaplin is one of my favorite directors of all time, and I think he deserves more than only three spots on the AFI 100.

Why You Should See it: The dinner roll scene. We fall in love with him every time he makes those dinner rolls dance. I dare you not to fall in love with him, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment