Saturday, February 20, 2010

Bonnie and Clyde

1967.
#27 / #42
Winner of 2 Academy Awards

BONNIE AND CLYDE tells the story of the two most famous bank robbers, Bonnie Parker (Faye Dunaway) and Clyde Barrow (Warren Beatty). The movie depicts their entire relationship, from their whirlwind meeting to their blaze-of-glory death.

Eddie: I really dug the flick and had never seen it before today. ::pretentious film student alert:: It's shot in a very French New Wave style, which reminded me of one of my favorite movies, JULES AND JIM. The cinematography and editing are edgy, even by today's standards. As a fan of history, I enjoyed the context in which they depicted the crimes. The film portrayed Bonnie and Clyde as the product of the Great Depression, and their relationship was viewed through the prism of Clyde's sexuality. Intricate points of view.

I thought the performances were all great. I think this is the first Warren Beatty movie I've seen since DICK TRACY. He's incredible! Faye Dunaway was also amazing. Out of her three AFI movies (the others being CHINATOWN and NETWORK), this is her best performance.

Sarah: This is one of my favorite movies, and I loved watching it again for the AFI challenge. Bonnie and Clyde are bad ass. Besides all the parts Eddie described, this movie is worth watching just for Faye Dunaway's awesome style. I want to copy her entire wardrobe. The movie is just beautiful, from the old cars and 30's style to the lovely shots of a tattered and poverty-stricken America. This movie has enough for your heart and your eyes to get full on.

Why You Should See It: The notorious final shoot out.

No comments:

Post a Comment