Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Lawrence of Arabia

1962.
#5 / #7
Winner of 7 Academy Awards.

British officer T.E. Lawrence (Peter O'Toole) leads the Arab Revolt against the Ottomans during WWI. Along the way, he gains their trust and develops a thirst for vengeance that rivals the feuding clans of Arabia.

Eddie: I love this movie. I first saw it in high school (I think), and I was immediately transfixed by Lawrence. O'Toole magnificently portrays Lawrence as a figure torn between his messianic aspirations and the grim realities of war. Directed by David Lean and shot by Freddie Young, the film captures the immensity and stillness of the desert. The panoramic shots capture the desert's lifelessness the way that Kubrick and Unsworth capture the space equivalent in 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY. The second half of the movie is slower than the first, but the whole thing is worth the four hour running time.

My biggest complaint with the film is the lack of Arab actors. I realize that 1962 London wasn't teeming with Arab actors, but Lean could have tried a little harder. Instead, Lean hired a Mexican, an Egyptian, and Obi-Wan Kenobi to play the three Arab leads.

Sarah: This film would be way shorter if they cut half the walking through the desert scenes. Literally every other scene is a slow pan of camels walking through more desert. Even though that did annoy me at times, those slow shots do add texture to the film. I really began to understand the scope of what Lawrence is fighting for, and I began to root for him.

I agree with Eddie that O'Toole is amazing. Though he is the star of the film, I still wanted to know him better. It's those damn blue eyes.

Why You Should See It: During the overland expedition to Aqaba, the Arabs lose a man while crossing the Nefud desert. Lawrence risks his life by doubling back to recover Gasim, the stranded soldier. It is epic.

No comments:

Post a Comment