Saturday, October 23, 2010

Wuthering Heights

1939.
#73 / Unlisted
Winner of 1 Academy Award.

The housekeeper at Wuthering Heights tells a traveler the story of Heathcliff (Rex Downing and Laurence Olivier) and Catherine (Sarita Wooten and Merle Oberon) and their lifelong relationship. Heathcliff was an orphaned Gypsy boy who gained wealth to win Catherine's heart, and Catherine was a rich girl who married a wealthy husband, Linton (David Niven).

Eddie: WUTHERING HEIGHTS reminded me a lot of the 1998 film version of GREAT EXPECTATIONS. Even though the first hour drags its feet, the movie delivers a great heartbreak story. The Heathcliff-Cath love story is up there with Rick and Ilsa and Alvy and Annie as one of my favorites. HEIGHTS had the misfortune of being released in 1939, so I think it got lost in the shuffle of the other huge movies released that year.

I don't think I had ever seen Olivier in a non-Shakespearean role, so it was nice to see him exercise a little more leeway with his character. Both he and Oberon did a great job. Oberon, in particular, finds all the nuances between the two sides of her character - spoiled, rich princess and vulnerable sweetheart. (Reminded me of someone I know.)

Sarah: Can you find a more tortured, brooding love story than Wuthering Heights? No, you can't. It is one of my favorite books, so I was really excited to see how the film adaptation handled it. This version has some pretty awesome moments, including our "Why You Should See It moment," as well as the closing shot. A great portion of the dialogue is straight from Bronte's masterpiece, so the script is powerful and heartbreaking.

All that said, I think this movie is due for an update, and I never say that about the classics. The film is so condensed that the story seems rushed and unnatural. The old-timey acting style turns the film to melodrama. I think if given more time, the film could really explore everything from passion to the crazy, ghostly obssesion. Why isn't this a mini-series? Ohhhh Colin Firth as Heathcliff! Make my dreams come true BBC!

Eddie: Ask and you shall receive. Andrea Arnold is currently directing an adaptation of the novel. Also, there is no shortage of Wuthering Heights adaptations, the most recent including a 1998 British version, a 2003 MTV modernization, and a 2009 PBS version.

Why You Should See It: In the scene where the candle flickers, Heathcliff stands outside the door, listening to Catherine describe why she hates him so much. Then she admits, "And yet, he's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same. And Linton's is as different as frost from fire... Ellen, I am Heathcliff."

But Heathcliff has already gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment